The South Dakota State Fire Marshal’s Office is looking into a house explosion that left two small children hospitalised with burns and killed a newborn and her grandparents.
According to Stanley County Sheriff Brad Rathbun, the residence, which was about 11 miles (18 km) southwest of Fort Pierre, exploded around 10:20 a.m. on Wednesday.
Harper Hupp, 6 months old, and her grandma LaDonna Hupp, 61, perished at the scene, according to the sheriff. Hospitalised William Hupp, 66, passed away there.
Myles, age 5, and Royce, age 3, suffered critical injuries and were airlifted to a burn unit at a hospital in St. Paul, Minnesota.
The explosion’s cause is being looked into by the office of the South Dakota State Fire Marshal.
The explosion happened when the parents of the kids, Trevor and Kelsey Hupp, were at work in Pierre. The parents of Trevor Hupp were LaDonna and William Hupp.
Myles has predominantly first- and second-degree burns on 10% of his body, according to Kelsey Hupp, while Royce has third-degree burns on 25% of his body, mostly on his chest and arms.
“(Myles) squeezes my hand and wiggles his toes. He even fought sedation one time and sat up and looked around. He is stable,” Kelsey Hupp wrote.
According to their mother’s letter, Royce’s rehabilitation will take longer than his brother’s, although he also wiggles his toes and once awoke from anaesthesia. She mentioned that both boys had intubations.
“The boys have a long road ahead of them, but we are just so thankful that we even have this road with them,” she wrote. “They are strong and will persevere. I will do my best to update as I can because I know everyone cares. Please don’t stop praying. I’m going to need every ounce I can get to continue. We love our family, friends and community so much.”
The First Dakota National Bank, where Trevor Hupp works, and GoFundMe have both established up accounts to collect money for the family.
Rathbun said that locals in the outlying region heard the explosion and informed the police.
The explosion’s cause is being looked into by the office of the South Dakota State Fire Marshal. No wrongdoing is believed, according to Rathbun.