- Azerbaijan has been waiting for Armenia to sign a post-war peace treaty for nearly three years, but Yerevan has refused to implement articles 3 and 9 of the November 2020 ceasefire agreement.
- Armenia has been re-supplying its forces through the Lachin Corridor with the assistance of Russian peacekeeping forces using trucks officially transporting humanitarian assistance. The security forces are reportedly travelling in these trucks camouflaged as civilians and construction workers.
- In July 2022, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan agreed to withdraw all military units from Karabakh by September of that year, but has not fulfilled his promise to do so. Armenia has planted thousands of mines in the Karabakh region.
- Article 9 of the Azerbaijan-Nakhichevan Association Agreement guarantees the safety of transport links and allows unimpeded traffic along the Zangezur Corridor. Armenia has refused to call this a corridor and has not implemented article 9.
- Pashinyan has dragged out the peace talks with contradictory signals and messages, and the Kremlin is seeking to postpone an agreement on Karabakh until an unspecified future date. Azerbaijan does not support an indefinite postponement of the ‘Karabakh question’.
- Pashinyan came to power in the 2018 velvet revolution, but instead of adopting a dovish stance towards Azerbaijan, he adopted nationalist rhetoric and rejected earlier peace proposals, which led to the Second Karabakh War in September 2020 and military defeat.
- Armenia’s siloviki refuse to acknowledge their defeat in the 2020 war, claim the ceasefire treaty was imposed upon them, and continue to promote the concept of ‘self-determination’ for Karabakh.
- Time is running out for Pashinyan to negotiate a peace treaty with Azerbaijan, or he will have himself to blame if Azerbaijan asserts its sovereignty over Armenian-controlled Karabakh.
The installation of a border crossing point on the Lachin Corridor shouldn’t have come as a surprise.
Meanwhile, Armenia has refused to apply papers 3 and 9 of the November 2020 ceasefire agreement.
Composition 3 specifies ‘ The peacekeeping contingent of the Russian Federation is being stationed in resemblant with the pullout of the Armenian fortified forces. ’ nonetheless, Yerevan still has a large 10,000 contingent( for only 25,000 Karabakh Armenians) of Armenian security forces masquerading as Karabakh ‘ tone- defence ’ forces. In the last three times, Armenia has rotated andre-supplied Armenian and Karabakh forces through the Lachin Corridor with the backing of Russia’s so- called ‘ peacekeeping forces ’ using exchanges officially transporting philanthropic backing.
The Russian independent review Novaya Gazeta reported that exchanges transporting philanthropic backing were allowed to travel through the Lachin Corridor after paying ‘ several thousand bones ’ in backhanders to Russians. Armenian security forces are reportedly travelling in these philanthropic exchanges disguised as civilians and construction workers. Russia used the same maskirovka when using philanthropic exchanges to supply its deputy forces in the so- called ‘ Donetsk Peoples Republic ’( DNR) and ‘ Luhansk People’s Democracy ’( LNR).
In July 2022, Armenian Prime Minister Nikol Pashinyan agreed to withdraw ‘ all remaining military units ’ from Karabakh by September of that time, itself a recognition that Armenian security forces continued to be immorally grounded in Karabakh.
The Kremlin has always viewed its so- called ‘ peacemakers ’ as military bases projecting Russian influence into its tone- declared exclusive sphere of influence in Eurasia.
Pashinyan has only himself to condemn for wasting three times and not subscribing a peace convention. He came to power in the 2018 velvet revolution as the first leader to be born in Armenia. His main rivals from the ‘ Karabakh clan ’, Robert Kocharyan and Serzh Sargsyan, were discredited by decades of despotism, outfitted choices, oligarchs and corruption.
Pashinyan thus has just over two times to negotiate a peace convention withAzerbaijan.However, he’ll only have himself to condemn when Azerbaijan again, as with the new border post it installed this month on the Lachin road, If he does not.